25 August 2020

Friends

 


"Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken".

Friendship is so very important. We all need friends to stand alongside, to laugh with, to cry with, to pray with, to share our deepest thoughts, to hold us accountable, to correct us. We don't need the sort of friends who only massage our egos!

So my questions to me today are:
  • Am I being a good friend to those whom God has brought me alongside?
  • Do I look only for friends who are like me?
  • Am I honest and open with those who I would call my friends?
  • Do I welcome both positive and negative input from my friends?
  • Do I make enough effort to keep in touch?
Of course this all, also applies to our friendship with God who is the best friend we will ever have. 

 In 1 Cor 16:13-14 Paul gives these final words to the friends in his letter:

Remember to stay alert and hold firmly to all that you believe. Be mighty and full of courage. Let love and kindness be the motivation behind all that you do.

We have a choice whether or not to pursue our friendship, our relationship with our friends and with God. These verses remind us that it takes effort on our part.

And finally, love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength, and love your neighbour as yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog, and I pray you will be blessed with a closer walk with Jesus as you ponder these messages.

Clinging on

  Psalm 63:8 "I cling to you; your strong right hand hand holds me securely" Snickers have a funny ad going at the moment. There i...