10 March 2021

Running at the right pace

 

My previous blog was called "While I was Running" and contained lots of "big thoughts" most often thought whilst I was, well, running. Then I stopped running (long story) and the blog sort of drifted off into old-blog-land. 

Now I'm trying to run again and found the Couch to 5K app very useful in terms of how to build up the training, how to breathe, how to set the pace. My trainer was Laura and she would constantly advise and encourage during the run.  

Having achieved 5K (absolute maximum distance!!) I then would often listen to something else such as inspirational teaching or worship music. 

Then the bad weather arrived and running went on hold for a bit, as did other fitness training - with the inevitable result. 

So, back into it, I started again and started listening to fantastic sermons by Alistair Begg (Truth for Life - highly recommended) - however the running seemed really hard and I was getting a bit despondent at the thought that maybe I was too old to try and get fit. 

That was until yesterday when I swapped Alistair for my favourite worship tracks and managed a lot better. Then towards the end of the run when I was getting really tired and having to dig deep as they say, the chorus "It is well with my soul" just happened to be playing. Also, I ran at a better pace, in time with the music, so lasted longer. 

Now I don't believe in coincidences and the juxtaposition of my physical state with the words in my ears made me think. This is what I thought:

1 It's really important to run at the right pace - in all of life, not just in fitness training. 
2 We can get excited by inspirational teaching and rush off in our own strength, or too fast. 
3 Worship is really important - it keeps us in tune and in time with the Lord. 

Happy running 
😎

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog, and I pray you will be blessed with a closer walk with Jesus as you ponder these messages.

Clinging on

  Psalm 63:8 "I cling to you; your strong right hand hand holds me securely" Snickers have a funny ad going at the moment. There i...